Monday 27 April 2015

Pre-Assessment Review of Project Proposal Realization
Name: Maddie Spencer
Project proposal Title: The revival of the repressed community.

Context
Project Proposal

1. 1 How are you using a range of critical and contextual perspectives within the development of your personal proposal? Give examples
I have stated why and how I have done something as well as stating how it is relevant to the context of my work; this is evidenced under the tag ‘Reflective blog’. I have also looked at the work of other artists and photographers that are relevant to my work. For example, I looked at the work of John Gay in his book ‘England observed’, in which he photographed candid shots of people around London, some of which that were taken at Deptford market.

1.2 How are you using detailed analysis and evaluation to clarify the development of your personal project proposal? Where is it evidenced? Give examples.
I have evaluated my work, after every photoshoot I have taken and have asked the opinions of others and what they think works best, therefore allowing me to develop my project further. For example, I took a first photoshoot in Deptford and asked my sister what she thought was good about it and what could be improved. As well as asking my peers for their critical opinion, I also attended CRITs, for example one piece of feedback was that I should find out about the people that I was photographing. This is evidenced in my blog under the tags ‘Reflective blog’.

Research
Primary and secondary

2.1 How are you using wide-ranging and in-depth research to support the development of your personal project? Give examples
I have researched the places I have been and photographed in depth, I have also used a wide range of sources including books and documentaries. For example, I have used the documentary ‘the secret history of our streets’ as research into Deptford in south London.

2.2 How are you using analytical and evaluative skills to develop a range of creative solutions? Give examples
Through critically analyzing my photos, whether it is through CRITs or self- evaluation, I have been able to improve certain aspects throughout my project. For example, through analyzing my work, I have pin pointed what hasn’t worked, allowing me to think of ways to improve and better it from before. For example, I started photographing buildings but felt compelled to photograph people as I felt I needed to interact with people, it also felt a lot more personal.

Problem Solving
Theory and Practice

3.1 What complex practical and technical problems are you solving within your project? Give examples
When I first started taking photos in lower light I was still using a low ISO as I wanted the clarity in my pictures. I have also had low quality and marked scans from snappy snaps and boots, therefore I have used Photoshop where necessary and rescanned a few of the images that I was not happy with.

3.2 How are you solving complex theoretical problems within your project? Give examples
I have been reading parts of Liz Wells’: A Critical introduction, I read the section ‘Surveyors and surveyed’ which looked into the history of documentary photography and feel it has informed my work throughout my project. Something that particularly interested me in this chapter was a quote Wells included from Karin Becker Ohrn, he stated ‘the photographer’s goal was to bring the attention of an audience to the subject of his or her work and, in many cases, pave the way for social change’. I feel this influenced me to start taking photos of people and tell their stories.

Planning and Production

4.1 How are you demonstrating the ability to efficiently plan organize and produce a personal project within the agreed time frame? Give examples
I have tried to stick to the Gantt timeline I have produced, and if things changed, I adjusted the timeline for realistic completion of work. I also ensured that all work was analyzed before the next work was started to see if anything could be adjusted. For example, I would do research into a certain place or area around London and then plan a photoshoot there.

Practical Skills
Refinement and Realization of Ideas

5.1 How are you exploring, adapting and applying a range of practical methods and skills in the realization of your personal project? Give examples
I would explain what I was doing, how and why I was doing it and what I was trying to tell people with that particular piece of work. For example, I used different cameras and worked inside the studio as well as outside as I was looking at the effect of lighting and quality of the sensor and lens.

Reflection and Evaluation
Project Development

6.1 How are you maintaining detailed critically evaluative and reflective records of the development of your project? Give examples
I have kept a sketchbook in which I have included evaluation and my thought process throughout the project. For example, I have used my sketchbook to plan photoshoots, and then stated if and why I changed that plan. I have also stated what why and how I have done something, this is evidenced under the tags ‘Practical work’.

6.2 How are you demonstrating that you are using evaluative and reflective skills to make perceptive decisions in support of your project? Give examples
I made sure all work was analysed before moving onto the next piece of work so I got the most out of the project. For example, I would fully evaluate a photoshoot and its positives and negatives, allowing me to improve on the next photoshoot I would do.

Final Presentation and Audience Consideration

7.1 What strategies are you considering to use to present your project?
I am going to hang my work as a series of around 10 images. I plan to either hang them using frames or print with a border around them and use pins to secure them in place. I also plan to include a photobook of other images I have taken throughout my project to support these hung photographs.

7.2 How will you present your work in a skillful and proficient manner? Give examples
I will make sure I take time to hang my work in an aesthetically pleasing manner with clean lines which includes considered photos that reflect my concept and workflow.
For example, I want to present my work in small black frames, which will be placed equal lengths apart.

Who is your specified audience and how will you engage them with your work?
I am aiming my pictures at those that have an interest in the history of certain places, especially around London. I also feel that people who have suffered badly as a result of greedy corporations, the banks and the government. I also feel that people who work around London, especially in jobs that have been passed down from generation to generation, such as working at markets could relate to my photographs. I feel I will engage them by showing images of people that I have met around Deptford market, hopefully showing them as the interesting people that I had conversations with. I want to tell the stories of their lives living and working around the market. 

No comments:

Post a Comment